Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Graffiti Artist, Claw


Of the seven people, I took notes on Claw, whom I chose for a few reasons. One of them being that she is the only girl out of all the people being interviewed, which was intriguing to me because when one thinks about graffiti they usually imagine it being done by a male. I also really liked her style, which was different compared to the others. Claw’s tag was an icon, versus just the writing of her name, which I thought was unique and more interesting to look at. Claw immediately established credibility with me through ethical appeals, or ethos. She has a fashion background which indicates that she is creative, it was said by a friend that her nickname sums her up completely which makes me think she is just a badass, and she has also been arrested three times for graffiti so she obviously has been in the game for a while and takes risks. Many of the other graffiti artists have been arrested for their work, which also in my mind gives them some sort of credibility, and similarly to Claw, Saber has an artistic background. I was really drawn to Claw though because of her pathos, she is seen as this rebel girl whose parents don’t support her, but then reveals that she is doing this to connect with her self and the world, she is much deeper than trying to just solely be recognized, like Earsnot does, which is one of the reasons I did not like him. She said during her first interview that she felt like there was something missing, and leaving her mark was like a reminder that she was there in the present. She said that graffiti drowned out all the insecurities about herself and she felt she could do anything. A specific quote from her says, “ It’s a wild feeling of really being connected with your surroundings, you can take a little piece and its yours”. Hearing her say this made me truly understand her motives behind graffiti, and I think it is admirable. So even though graffiti is illegal, I am more on her side now. As far as Logos, there were testimonies present in all of the graffiti artists’ sections, which backed them up. Joe Connolley included many statistics and numbers during his interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment